Contact Info

          Financial Aid Office
          Hamilton Hall
          210 Glasgow Road
          Edinboro, PA  16444

           (814) 732-3500
          Fax: (814) 732-2129

          Hours of Operation: 
          Fall/Spring: Monday – Friday, 
          9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
          Summer: Monday – Friday, 
          9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

          Information for Graduate Students

          The Financial Aid Office at Edinboro University is dedicated to making advanced degrees affordable and attainable for graduate students.

          Graduate students can complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and may be eligible for Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans. Typically, graduate students are eligible for $20,500 of Unsubsidized loans for the academic year. The combined aggregate loan limit that a graduate student may borrow is $138,500. You can view your aggregate loan limits and loan servicer information at

          Enrollment Status for Graduate Students

          Full-time – 9 or more credits/term
          ¾ time – 7 or 8 credits/term
          ½ time – 5 or 6 graduate credits/term
          (must have at least 5 graduate-level credit hours)

          Aid eligibility, award amounts and cost of attendance (budgets) will be adjusted to reflect a change in enrollment status each semester. Students must notify the office if not enrolled full-time or if enrollment changes from semester to semester.

          If you are taking all undergraduate courses or enrolled in a post baccalaureate program (i.e. teacher certification) aid will be awarded based on undergraduate rules. Aid for teacher certification, innovative nursing, second bachelor’s degree and/or post baccalaureate certification programs:

          • Must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) to be eligible for federal student loans
          • Students enrolled are considered fifth-year undergraduate and subject to undergraduate lifetime loan limits.
          • Students are not eligible for state and federal grants, since they already have a bachelor’s degree.

          1. Accepting a Federal Direct Stafford Loan:

          1. Go to
          2. Log in with the student’s FSA ID username and password
          3. Click ‘Complete Counseling’ and under typeI am completing entrance counseling to receive Direct Loans as a graduate or professional'
          4. Click ‘Complete MPN’ and under type ‘Subsidized/Unsubsidized MPN’

           2. Applying for a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan:

          • Go to
          • Log in with the student’s FSA ID username and password
          • Click ‘Apply for a PLUS loan’ – ‘Direct PLUS Loan Request for Graduate/Professional Student Borrowers’
          • Complete the Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note for Graduate/Professional Students
            • If you were Denied the loan but approved with an Endorser, you must click also ’Complete PLUS Counseling’ and have the Endorser complete the ’Endorser Addendum’

          3. Summer and Winter Financial Aid:

          • Generally, EU disburses financial aid based on a two semester basis which is fall and spring. This means that your total financial aid award is divided between these two sessions. Some graduate programs require students to attend the summer and winter sessions. For these students, winter session can be rolled into the spring semester and can be paid with spring aid.  It will be necessary for student attending summer to budget their award by reducing the amount of their refunds for fall and spring to cover the cost of summer session.
          • Awards can be adjusted by submitting the request in writing, via SCOTS email or contacting the Financial Aid Office for assistance.

          For example:

          Fall Spring Summer

          Award: $10,250
          Bill: $3,000
          Desired refund: $2,000
          Reduce award to: $5000
          Unused aid: $5,250

          Award: $10,250
          Bill: $4,000
          Desired refund: $2,000
          Reduce award to: $6,000
          Unused aid: $4,250
          Available for summer: $9,500

          4. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP):

          • For Federal Student Aid recipients: Graduates are required to complete 75% of all credit hours attempted with a 3.00 QPA or better. The complete SAP standards may be reviewed online by visiting the satisfactory academic progress page.

          5. Defaulted Loans:

          • If any of your previous loans are in default, EU is not allowed to process any financial aid for you. In order to resolve defaulted loan issues go to to review your loans and servicer contact information, then contact your loan servicer. Once your defaulted loans are resolved, you must contact our office so we can process your financial aid.

          6. Applying for an Alternative Loan:

          • Alternative loans are student loans borrowed through a bank or credit union. The University recommends using the Federal Direct Stafford Loans and Direct Graduate PLUS loans and payment plan with the Student Accounts office before choosing to take out an Alternative Loan. Please view our Alternative Loans page for more information.