Active Duty - Edinboro University
          Contact Info

          Veterans Success Center
          Crawford Center, Room 208A
          200 Glasgow Road
          Edinboro, PA 16444
          Phone: (814) 732-1568

          John Christman, PhD
          Veterans Success Coordinator
          Office: 206 Crawford Center
          Phone: (814) 732-1557

          Follow the EU Veterans Success Center

          Facebook Icon

          Active Duty

          While still on Active duty you may either use your VA benefits through the GI Bills® or you may utilized Federal Tuition Assistance through the DoD. Remember that any use of Tuition Assistance will increase your service obligation.

          CH 33 – Post-911 GI Bill®


          Full tuition and fees paid directly to the school. Please note that tuition and fees are only paid up to the in-state rate for tuition and fees, information on the choice act and receiving in-state rates can be found by clicking choice act. An annual book stipend of $1,000 is provided directly to the student and is distributed based on the number of credit-hours taken in a semester. Additional benefits that may be available for students include a one-time rural benefit payment, to assist students in moving nearer to the university, and a $1,200 a year tutoring allowance.

          Note: The percentage of benefits a Veteran can be eligible for is based on the length of Active Duty Service. Please see the table below for percentage rates.

          Note: Active Duty Service Members cannot receive DoD BAH payments and VA Housing Allowance concurrently. No Post-9/11 Housing Allowance is authorized while using Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits while still on Active Duty.

          Individuals serving an aggregate period of active duty after Sept. 10, 2001, of:Includes entry level and skill training:Percentage of Maximum Benefit
          At least 36 months Yes 100
          At least 30 continuous days on active duty and discharged due to service connected disability    Yes 100
          At least 30 months, but less than 36 months Yes 90
          At least 24 months, but less than 30 months Yes 80
          At least 18 months, but less than 24 months No 70
          At least 12 months, but less than 18 months No 60
          At least 6 months, but less than 12 months No 50
          At least 90 days, but less than 6 months No 40


          • Served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty.
          • Continued service with your unit in good standing.


          • Complete a VA Form 22-1990 on paper or online through VONAPP and send to the VA. Receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA.

          CH 30 – Montgomery GI Bill


          Ch 30 provides a monthly lump sum to students that can be used to pay for educational expenses. Rates change yearly. Access current CH 30 rates. If you signed a "$600.00 buy-up" or "kicker" Contract at your time of enlistment or reenlistment, you will receive an increased rate based on the amount of the "kicker." Up to 36 months of eligibility are offered.


          • Served 3 continuous years of active duty.


          • Complete a VA Form 22-1990 on paper or online through VONAPP and send to the VA. Receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA.
          • Provide monthly verification of attendance through VA Wave system.

          Federal Tuition Assistance


          Federal Tuition Assistance pays for 100% of tuition and authorized fees up to a maximum of $4,500 per service member per year. Tuition benefits are capped at $250 per semester hour. It is highly recommended that Servicemembers contact their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or contact their Military Education Office to discuss the use of Federal Tuition Assistance prior to enrollment.


          • Maintain good standing with your unit by not being flagged.
          • Be approved by your unit commander for use of Tuition Assistance


          • For Active Army, Army Reserve, and Army National Guard go to
          • Contact your Training NCOIC to get your memorandum of understanding from your commander.
          • For all other services contact your Training NCOIC.

          Have Questions? Need assistance completing your benefits request? Contact the Edinboro University Veterans Success Center at or 814-732-1568.