State Authorization & Complaint Process - Edinboro University
          Contact Info

          Office of Distance Education
          Ross Hall, Lower Level
          220 Scotland Road
          Edinboro, PA 16444
          Phone: (814) 732-1047

          Dr. Jim Boulder
          Director of Learning Technology Services
          Office: Ross Hall, Room 19
          Phone: (814) 732-1047

          State Authorization & Complaint Process

          State Authorization

          Due to a new federal regulation, as of July 1, 2014, all universities offering distance education courses in states other than their own must receive and maintain authorization from each state.

          State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement - SARA

          SARA is the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement which is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that establishes national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. Pennsylvania's SARA membership is effective January 1, 2017, and EU is a participating SARA institution. If you have any questions about EU's state authorization, please email

          Professional Licensure

          It is important that online applicants who are applying to graduate programs leading to state licensure in states other than Pennsylvania be aware of the various state professional licensure requirements. To that end, please utilize the links provided on the Graduate Application Page.


          Students enrolled in Edinboro University’s distance education programs and courses who have a complaint or concern should refer to published Edinboro policies and follow the stated procedures to resolve the matter. Students who are unable to resolve the issue through the faculty member, program coordinator, and/or the department chair may contact the University Ombudsman at or (814) 732-1259. Student concerns will be addressed as soon as possible.

          A student who believes that the issue was not resolved by the university can file a complaint with the State System's Office of the Chancellor by filling out the System's official complaint form.

          In compliance with U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) rules, an institution offering distance education must provide enrolled and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency and with the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in the student's state.

          Edinboro University is a member of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education and accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.

          Edinboro University aspires to resolve prospective and current student complaints and concerns in an expeditious, fair, and amicable manner. Distance education students who have exhausted all efforts to satisfactorily resolve a complaint in a timely manner through Edinboro’s policies may seek further guidance from their home state.

          The Student Complaint Information by State and Agency list provides contact information for state education agencies. The State Contact Information in the linked list has been collected by the State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO), and it will be updated as additional information becomes available.