Frequently Asked Questions for Transfer Students


Thinking about transferring to Edinboro University? Get all the answers to many frequently asked questions, including how many of your credits will transfer.

Here's What You Need to Know

If you graduated from high school or earned your GEDand subsequently enrolled in post-secondary coursework, you are a transfer student. If you never attended college or if you're a high school student who completed post-secondary coursework prior to high school graduation, you are considered a freshman. Transfer students must submit all college records for review — they cannot elect to apply to the University as a freshman.

As a transfer student, you must submit your official high school transcript, along with official transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended. Students transferring in a minimum of 30 credits are exempted from having to submit their high school transcript, unless the intended major is Nursing.

In general, a 2.0 GPA or higher is preferred for transfer student admission. A lower GPA may be considered in certain circumstances. A higher GPA may be required or preferred, depending on the major (e.g., Education and Nursing).

While the traditional Nursing program is designed for incoming freshmen, transfer students may be considered on a case-by-case basis. To be considered, students must fulfill Freshman Nursing requirements and must have a minimum transfer GPA of 3.00.

If you already have a bachelor's degree, you may also apply for the Accelerated Nursing program.

If your credits were earned from an institution of higher education that’s accredited by regional accrediting bodies, Edinboro University will accept them, depending on the grade. Coursework completed at institutions that are not regionally accredited may be accepted by the University following evaluation by the academic deans in consultation with department chairpersons.

Upon receipt of your application, official high school transcript and official college transcript(s), an official credit evaluation will be completed and provided to you. The credit evaluation is part of the admission process.

Find out more about transfer equivalencies, articulation agreements and what credits will transfer to Edinboro University – even before you apply – through the Boro Transfer Gateway.  The Gateway portal gives you a preview of what credits will transfer, how many additional credits you might need to complete your degree and how much it will cost.

Prior to enrollment, direct all appeals regarding undergraduate transfer credit equivalencies to the Undergraduate Admissions Office. After enrollment, direct such appeals to the dean of your department. In either case, you must submit the request for an appeal accompanied by a detailed outline or syllabus for the course in question. The appeal and course outline or syllabus will be reviewed by your dean, who is the final authority for the decision.

Open elective credits may be awarded for valid academic courses for which Edinboro University has no direct equivalent.

No. Transfer credits carry no grade point value. Courses and credits may transfer, but not grades. New transfer students begin with a “clean slate” (0.00 GPA).

Quarter-hour credits will be converted to semester hours by multiplying the quarter hours by .667. (Example: five quarter hours equal three semester hours.

Generally, most credits will be accepted. However, those in excess of 10 years old will be evaluated by your major department chairperson and academic dean for their applicability toward meeting current degree requirements.

Yes. To be eligible for honors recognition at graduation, you must have attempted and earned at least 45 semester hours of credit at Edinboro University and have earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.4 (4.0 scale) for all credits graded on the A through F scale earned at Edinboro University.

No! However, you must complete 30 of the last 60 semester hours in courses scheduled by the University for a baccalaureate degree or an associate degree. In addition, you must take at least 50% of credits required for the major from a State System University.


Yes! University credit may be granted for work completed in formal service schools and training programs on the basis of the recommendations of the American Council on Education as indicated on the Joint Services Transcript (JST) or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript.

Contact Us

Undergraduate Admissions Office
Academy Hall
200 E. Normal Street
Edinboro, PA 16444
Phone: 814-732-2761